Membership Types

Physiotherapist Membership

For physiotherapists licensed to practice in Canada and/or holding a professional degree in physiotherapy from a Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada university program.

For practicing clinicians:

Practising A

You are working full-time as a physiotherapist (i.e. more than 15/hours weekly).

Practising B

You are working part-time as a physiotherapist (i.e. less than 15/hours weekly).

New Graduate

You have just completed an entry-level degree at a recognized Canadian university program (eligible in the first year of practice or portion thereof).

Other physiotherapist membership types:


You are working in a research, administrative, management or teaching position.

*Any leave DOES NOT qualify for Non Practising. If you are on leave, please contact CPA at 1-800-387-8679 or

Outside Canada

Eligible for Physiotherapist membership but resides outside Canada.

Graduate Student

Full-time graduate students who have completed undergraduate physiotherapy education. You are currently enrolled in a full-time, post-graduate physiotherapy/rehabilitation university program (proof of current enrolment required)


You are permanently retired from significant employment in physiotherapy AND are age 55 or over AND have at least 20 years of CPA membership, or with a WCPT member organization, within the past 30 years.

**Maternity/Paternity/Sick/Disability Leave

  • Full member who will be, or who plans to be on maternity/paternity leave for at least 3 consecutive months of the current/upcoming membership year (Membership year = Oct 1st to Sept 30th of each year)
  • Full member on sick/disability leave for at least 3 months

Please contact a Member Service Representative to assist with your membership sign-up/renewal. or 1-800-387-8679.


Physical Rehabilitation Therapist Membership

Physical rehabilitation therapists are Quebec health professionals who work in physiotherapy. This means that Quebec's professional order of physiotherapy, the Ordre professionnel de la physiothérapie du Québec (OPPQ), governs the practice of two professional categories: physiotherapists (PTs) and physical rehabilitation therapists (PRTs). To hold the title of PRT, practitioners must be a member of the OPPQ and have graduated from a physiotherapy techniques program - this is a three-year diploma program offered by eight Quebec colleges (CEGEPs).


Physiotherapist Assistant Membership

For individuals who have completed a formal education program for Physiotherapist Assistants accredited by the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program, those registered as a thérapeute en réadaptation (TRP) with l’ordre professionnel de la physiothérapie du Québec, or who have successfully completed the Canadian Physiotherapy Association's approved Observed Performance Criteria Process.

Consult the following to learn about the PTA membership process:


Student Membership

CPA membership is free for:

  • Physiotherapy students enrolled in a Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada recognized program, or a recognized international credential bridging program.
  • Physiotherapist assistant students enrolled in a recognized formal education program (programs with accreditation or candidacy status)
  • Physical Rehabilitation Therapist students enrolled in a recognized formal education program for TRPs in Canada may join as Student PRT.


Affiliate Membership

For those not eligible for one of the approved physiotherapist or assistant categories, but who support the goals and objectives of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association. If you are interested in becoming an Affiliate Member, please contact us.